A note about self judgement statements

Do you ever just ... want to "be better"? You can't honestly say that you have never entertained queries that may have called your character into question. Queries such as, "Why can't I be like him/her?", "How could things get any worse?", or my strong personal favorite "How could anybody love me?"

Without even fully realizing it, you're fracturing yourself. Your already volatile sense of self will slowly begin to crack and crumble under the weight of questions such as these. The kind of questions that result in a judgement of ourselves. Generally, a not-so-peppy judgement. 

These statements are extremely toxic and can quickly and efficiently erode away emotional stability and the peace of mind that comes with it. However, a judgement statement can be an alluring alternative to its counterpart. Which generally involves a lot more work, vulnerability, and faith. All of which require us to want change. If change isn't a priority, working toward it will not be one either. 

Depression and anxiety are everywhere you look (the leading cause of Self Judgment Statements, in my opinion). One study I found posits that depression rates in the US have been on a slow but steady climb for the last 70 years and recently just shot up at unprecedented rates. However, this study was done by what looks to be a private research firm and I have no context as to what the study was actually being conducted for. 

That being said, I myself, have noticed an alarming increase in the rate of people within my life that have been casually prescribed antidepressants or anti-anxiety pills. In some cases its completely justifiable and even needed. But in some other cases, they may feel that they don't necessarily need this medication to survive/function, but would prefer having a little something to take the edge off, so to speak. 

I'm not going to start preaching about pharmaceutical law or ethics (BORING!!).

What I will do is offer this question. What if emotional regulation was within your grasp? What if the ability to love (and I mean truly love) yourself was just a few tools away from being totally workable? Would you make change a priority then?? 

Not everyone who suffers from an emotional dis-regulation disorder is the same. Not by a long shot. And what I do know about mental affliction is not as learned as most. I would say that 90% or more of what I have come to know has been from direct experience with my own emotional conditions. 

Therein lies the struggle. 

How do we address the state of our situations or circumstances in an objective manner while still maintain the passion and desire to make change from within them? Where does that emotional balance come from? Who holds these tools? Where can I find them? 

I think have a few good ideas. I'll get them prepared to share! :) 

Comments

Popular Posts